Monday, January 26, 2009

Fence building and faith

This past week I put up over 500 feet of privacy fence with the help of my brother-in-law Danny, and my friends Jamie, Mike, Chuck and D.J. We put up over $10,000.00 worth of privacy fence for less than $2,500.00! You see, the materials were given to me. One of the last hurricanes took it down. Since an insurance company paid to put up the owner a brand new one, my brother-in-law was able to bring it to me in sections. We simply dismantled it and put it back up good as new. I boasted to my friends who helped me erect the fence all week about how God has blessed me with a FREE fence!
One day, while attempting to dismantle a particularly difficult section of the fence, I beat my hands up pretty good. My knuckles, covered with cuts and bloody, provided me with a wonderful illustration to share with my friends: Just because something's free doesn't mean it won't cost you something. This is true of my fence, and it's true of our salvation. Philippians 2:12 says, As you have always obeyed - not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence - continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling.
This fence has been laying in my breezeway for over a year, waiting to be erected. Isn't that how we treat the free gift God's given us sometimes? Let's get to work. Let's build something with what God's given us.

2 comments:

  1. And let's not forget that things we enjoy as "free" may not, in fact, cost US anything, but it always will cost someone something.

    Our freedom as a nation cost the lives of countless thousands of American soldiers. The pages of our Christian heritage are lined with the selfless acts of martyrs, missionaries, and those who would sacrifice everything to follow Christ.

    But most of all, let us never forget that the salvation we so freely were given, cost Jesus His very life.

    Your fence illustration was great. Not only did it convey how God can and will bless His people, but that "freedom is never free." Great post (no pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome illistration. We miss you guys, but hear good reports. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive