Thursday, July 16, 2009

Keeping Sophie Clean

Most of you know we have a Welsh Springer Spaniel named Sophie. She's an inside dog and to keep her clean and smelling good, I take her weekly to be groomed at Critter's Day Spa in Scott, owned by our good friends Abby and Judy Lantier. This past Tuesday I brought her home all clean and smelling lovely. Wednesday morning I let her roam the yard while I fed the horses and she found a pile of varmint excrement and decided to take a roll. Without being too graphic, it was black, runny and stunk to high heaven! Why a dog enjoys rolling in something like that, I'll never understand but when she came running up to meet me so we could go back inside she was a MESS! I was angry with her. Not because I had to clean her up, but because she would do such a thing and because it prevented me from bringing her inside where she would lay at my feet while I read my Bible and enjoyed my coffee (Our little morning ritual).
As I bathed her, between gags I saw the spiritual application clearly. How many times has God cleaned me up only to have me go out and roll in the filth of sin and selfishness. I know this makes God angry with me. Not because He has to clean me up again, but because I would do such a thing, and prevent the intimate time with Him that He desires and I so desperately need.
To keep Sophie from returning to the Varmint poo, I took a shovel out there and buried it. My solution: Remove the temptation! I'm looking for a way to do the same with the stuff I have a tendency to roll in. Remove the temptation and bury the stuff that makes me unclean before God. If it works for Sophie, maybe it will work for me.

4 comments:

  1. So true. I'm amazed at how much our flesh actually enjoys the filth and selfishness. Our flesh can so overpower us. If we don't remove the temptation, we're asking for trouble.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was really good. It's a truth we all need to grab hold of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading insightfulness gleaned from everyday events. This was good!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive