Monday, November 30, 2009

Weighty Issues

Weight has been an issue for me my entire adult life. A few years ago I found myself at 225 pounds - entirely overweight and unhappy with it. I made a commitment to diet and exercise and took off 40 pounds. Since then my good eating habits have deteriorated, I'm no longer exercising and (predictably) I've put 15 of those 40 pounds back on. At 200 pounds, It's not as bad as it was but it's not where I want to be and the truth is, I never lost as much as I should have. So today, 11/30/09 I'm starting over! Here's my goal - I want to lose 30 pounds. I know I can do it. All it takes is a little discipline in my eating habits and a commitment to get up and go to the gym every morning for an hour. I need the discipline. I can do this! I have a spiritual conviction about it. 3 John 2 says, "Beloved I wish above all things that you prosper and be in health, even as your soul prospers. If it is God's wish that I be in health, I should wish the same! I should work toward that objective. I regret that I haven't been. Today that changes!

2 comments:

  1. This might be the best time to do it. If you can adhere to proper eating habits and practice portion control during the tempting foods that come along with the holidays, it will be much easier to do so during the rest of the year. Plus, exercising makes you feel better and helps you to earn some of the sweets during the holidays making them taste even better. It’s a great commitment to make. I’m proud of you for the initial weight you lost and I’m even more proud of you for the weight that you are going to lose. All the best Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when you first went under you transformation. You did very well, and you will do a great job again.

    I recently attempted the famed P90X and was doing it fairly (pardon the use) religiously. During the program, I got sick, so I fell off the band wagon. The holidays and football season have not helped either.

    With all of that said, I recently had a revelation. Instead of sitting on the couch, I can either workout while watching TV or during commercial break. I have a DVR, so I normally fast forward through the commercials. Now, a commercial break provides something else.

    Another thing that is helping me is having a fitness goal. Awhile back, David Baudoin ran a marathon. If he can do it, then I know I can do it. I am in decent shape now, so I am putting my goals on the biggest one of all - the IronMan. I might be crazy, but I want to do one within three to five years. For both of us, getting in shape will be easier if there is something to work towards.

    All of that took too long for me to say that I would recommend that you try to fit the fitness aspect of your goals into the normal, day-to-day activities. As crazy as it sounds, you could go as far as putting a set of weights in your office. I did. :)

    I would offer you free training in my fitness class, but right now my class only takes place once a week on Wednesdays which I'm sure conflicts with your schedule.

    Best of luck, Pastor!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive