Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Louisiana Laziness

Wow. This one hurt! A recent article in Business Weekly declared Louisiana the laziest state in America. Considering how lazy Americans are in general, it's a pretty insulting concept. The study states that a lack of access to fitness areas contributes to the laziness title.
I know I'm just one Louisianian, but I've decided to accept the challenge this article presents and get a little retrospective. I wouldn't say I'm real lazy, but I guess if I were comparing myself to my dad and the work ethic he had at my age, I'd probably pretty much fit the bill! He was a hard working dude! 
My Uncle Vernon, my dad's brother, preached for me a few weeks ago here at Crossroads and told about a time he and my dad dug a water well at my grandfather's house BY HAND! I can't even imagine it! I remember digging a grave for one of our dogs that died a few years ago and it almost killed me! I seriously wondered if I had dug the grave big enough because I was afraid they might have to burry me in it too! 
When it comes to my job/ministry, I'm not lazy at all. I'm very dedicated and diligent about what God has called me to. I refuse to grow 'comfortable' with where we are in ministry and I'm always working towards doing more and accomplishing more to the glory of God. However - at home - I really need to get off my behind! I have a farm with lots of demands in regards to fix-it-up and keep-it-up work that I often find even the thought of completely OVERWHELMING! Yet, I know if I would just commit myself to the disciplines my father had, my efforts would be so worthwhile. It would ultimately be so good for me and would leave a much smaller pile of wood, hay and stumble when I stand before my maker to answer to Him about how I lived my life in the laziest state in the union! 

6 comments:

  1. Oh man why did you have to make me feel guilty like that? my daughter has to lasso me and drag me to the gym kicking and screaming! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think "laid back" is more like it. I miss the happiness and love that people there have that dont even know it.

    Denver is one of the most high paced and industrious places in the nation, but its also one of the most if not THE most stressed out places to be!

    If you dont really believe that you have southern hospitality there...move to Denver.....I say the accuser is just jealous of you guys....Did you know that Louisiana was rated the Happiest state not too long ago?

    Yeah......its amazing how anything can be twisted to be a bad thing.

    Like....security can be called boredom......happines and contentment can be called Lazy........

    "He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot loose".......and trading stuff...so you can have good relationships....is trading the temporal for the eternal.....wear the article as a crown!

    Job 31:35 Oh that one would hear me! behold, my desire [is, that] the Almighty would answer me, and [that] mine adversary had written a book.
    36 Surely I would take it upon my shoulder, [and] bind it [as] a crown to me.
    37 I would declare unto him the number of my steps; as a prince would I go near unto him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW CAN ANYBODY SAY THAT LOUISIANA IS THE LAZIEST STATE WE THE BEST HOSPITALITY THAN ANY OTHER STATE WE HAVE THE BEST FOOD THAN ANYONE ELSE AND IT TAKES ALOT OF EFFORT TO DO ANY OF IT AND WE WOULD BE THE FIRST TO HELP OUT ANYONE SO WHO THINKS THAT WE ARE LAZY TELL THEM TO GO TO OTHER STATES AND FIND WHAT WE HAVE HEAR I BEEN THERE AND THERE AND THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME THANK YOU LORD FOR MAKING THIS MY HOME

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, just found your blog. Thanks for the refreshing and motivating words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the people at Business Weekly are crazy. Every single one of you incredible Louisianans that I know is very hardworking. I have never seen any of you being lazy or sitting around. Especially you Pastor Jeff! You are awesome! and I miss the great state of Louisiana! :)
    -Apple

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive