Thursday, July 8, 2010

Robin's Last Day at Chick-fil-a and Some Thoughts From A Former Pea-picker

Today was Robin's last day as an employee of Chic-fil-a. It was her first job and a very good one. They are a great company with wonderful morals and require their employees to be courteous, to dress appropriately and to treat customers (and each other) with respect! I would recommend any family who has a son or daughter contemplating their first job to consider Chick-fil-a. Robin will be going through Master's Commission this fall and between now and then she will be working as a nanny for a family in our church. Nannying is a good fit for Robin. She loves kids and kids love her. It makes me believe I can look forward to a wonderful passel of grandkids one day. (One day a long, long time from now!)

I remember my first job: My first job the government knew about and I paid taxes on that is (there were many other after school watermelon hauling, hay hauling, and the hauling of other various things type jobs that were really the equivalent of slave labor that I did before this). My first job that required me to get a social security number (you didn't get those at birth in those days) was a job at the Louisiana Experimental Station in Calhoun, LA. I literally picked peas every day all day long for an entire summer. It was hot, hard, back-breaking work that I believe paid $2.15 an hour.

What is the moral of this story? I have none, but to say that Robin retiring from her first line of work put me in mind of my first job and made me thankful that I'm not still picking peas for a living! I wonder if some of you would like to share your first job experiences?

10 comments:

  1. Aw, she served me today! i didn't even know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candice and I were there yesterday and when we saw her big smile we knew who her parents were. We were in shock. It was such a pleasure meeting her. You and Donna have done a great job. She will be missed at Chick-fil-a. love ya'll

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's see, I think my first real job was working at the campground in Woodworth. Not only did it teach me responsibility, but those summers helped build friendships that have stood the test of time. I cleaned dishes, scrubbed the kitchen floor for Mrs. Ruby, hauled off thousands of pounds of trash, and learned to drive an old standard transmission dump truck. Good times!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first job was at my Dad and Grandfather's auto mechanic shop. I would spread sawdust on oil spills underneath the cars and sweep it up. I loved the smell of that oil. When the shop was empty my sister and I would rollerskate to 70's music. It didn't pay a dime, but I learned some valuable lessons there and heard some wild stories from the guys who would visit them! Lots of good memories there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i dragged concrete hoses, and scraped pumps in the florida summer heat with my dad every summer since i was twelve. i hated summer vacation.

    -jared

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey pastor jeff. thanks for sharing your experience on your first job. brings me down memory lane about my first job. worked for a rice farmer my sophomore summer in high school. ten hour days for a whopping 10 bucks. that was the middle of the 1970's. sure glad i am not in those rice fields anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Working for parents' auto parts store and engine shop REQUIRED hard work at all times, and in polite fashion. That's probably where I learned to earn that dollar, you must work to the best of your ability at ALL times. I learned to know what parts the customer needed for the job of rebuilding an engine, memorizing part numbers, doing inventory, customer relations on the phone and in person. It was a great job, although the boss was sometimes hard on this employee. I took this hard work ethic to every job afterwards, and didn't mind it either. {Personally, I appreciate Chick-Fil-A's stance on their employees and customers and I do wish other places would follow suit.}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ya'll are such a great family! I wish Robin the best in all of her future endeavors, and I believe that she will succeed in whatever she chooses to do!

    Janice Edinger

    ReplyDelete
  9. Started when I was 12...During the summer I washed the vehicles for a company that filled, repaired and sold fire extinguishers...and on the weekends I would clean the shop. I wonder if THAT is why I hate washing my truck today???? hhhmmm

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think i will weigh in and share my first real job. It was at Orange Julius in the Northgate Mall. Real and Fun and most days really fun,met alot of interesting people and had alot of laughs, that was at age 15 but before that from age of 13 had child sitting jobs on weekends and afternoons ....Kim DeForest

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive