Monday, November 14, 2011

A few of my favorite smells...

#1 - Pipe Tobacco 

My cousin Eddie was my best friend growing up as a kid. He was always at my house or I was at his. His dad was a pipe smoker. I can still remember the smell of that pipe tobacco. Any time I smell it today, the aroma takes me back to those days Eddie and I roamed the woods and creek banks of rural Ouachita Parish. Great memories indeed.




#2 - Saddle Leather

I know this will seem like a no-brainer to those who know me well. I love everything associated with horses. From the sense of smell perspective, saddle leather is one of my all time favorites. When I walk into a saddle shop I could stay there for hours just to take in the smells!




#3 - Coffee Beans

Last, but certainly not least - I LOVE the smell of coffee beans. I wasn't always a coffee drinker but my friend David Baudoin changed all that. Now I can't get enough of the stuff. I have a grinder and a French press that I use every Saturday and Monday mornings with great pleasure. But before the process starts, I take a deep whiff of the fresh beans from the bag.







So these are a few of my favorite smells. How about you?

8 comments:

  1. Yep. Pipe for me too. My granddaddy smoked a pipe and I loved the smell. Only problem now is that I never run into that smell anymore. Maybe I should get Richard a pipe for Christmas.

    And, let's not forget my favorite Vick's Vaporub which reminds me of my mama, the nurse always taking great care of me when I was sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the aroma of feed stores! Growing up in a family of 10...7 girls and one boy, plus my parents....we didn't have the money for "store bought" dresses, so Mother made ours from cow feed sacks. I remember going with my dad to the feed store when it was my turn for a dress and looking through the stack of cowfeed to try to find a pattern and color that I liked for my handmade originals! Mother always put pretty collars on them and embellished them with lace, or rick rack, or stitching from her well-used Necchi sewing machine. (She took in sewing from the publc to "help make ends meet"). My 6'5" tall dad, with 19" biceps, would pick up two or three of the sacks with the same pattern, put them in the back of our '56 aqua and white Chevy station wagon (it bounced when Daddy tossed the feed in) and off we'd go. Then Daddy carried the sacks down the hill to our barn and took his pocket knife out and cut one of the strings that allowed him to carefully pull out the string from the top of the bag, and then he'd empty the feed into an old wooden barrel. Then he'd finish taking the string out, rolling it into a ball, and we'd take those pieces of cloth to the "wash house" and put them in a pot and run boiling water over them and let them sit until the water cooled. Then the label would come off. Then it was time to wash the cloth, hang it on the clothesline, starch it, THEN Mother would cut out my dress and sew it up. TRULY a one-of-a kind! I'd give a pretty penny for one of those dresses today! We "recycled" dresses, and I had two sisters and a brother younter than I. Naturally, the BOY is the only one who got STORE-BOUGHT clothes. I never felt "slighted" however. I always felt VERY special in my feedsack dresses, made with LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of love! When I get the opportunity to walk in a feedstore, you can imagine my delight when I smell that aroma which takes me back to a simpler era! I'm thankful again for my "feedsack treasures." Linda Tripp Fulenwider

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first day of cool weather. The smell of rain. My honey's cologne. Lol A new born baby and brewing coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet olive trees! pecan wood burning! and newborn babies (after a good bath). lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. On number 3 i'm with ya all the way! i LOVE the smell of coffee beans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fresh cut grass! Reminds me of my grandfather every time. He used to push mow his yard wearing long sleeves and a big straw hat before he passed away. I always smile when I smell it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a certain cheap shampoo that always takes me back to summer camp. LOL

    Also I love, this is weird, but the smell of oil and gas mixed...like for a boat motor. Reminds me of being on the water. That's weird, I know.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive