Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Highs and Lows of the NFL

I can't even tell you how furious I am with the NFL and their idiotic decision to suspend Sean Payton for an entire season over his knowledge of what's become known as the "Bounty Scandal." Excuse me, but Roger Goodell's hypocrisy knows no end! We need to investigate and see if he has ever given a bonus to anyone on his staff who has performed well. If so he should be fired immediately! I know many of you will argue, "This is about paying people to purposefully hurt other players." The NFL is entirely made up of people paid to hurt each other. It's a violent sport! I'm not here to endorse or criticize it as such. I'm just saying it's pathetic to pretend that it's a not a violent sport, pocket billions of dollars off of all of the violent hits associated with that violent sport and then penalize a team for simply giving their players a bonus when they performed well! EVERY team does it - one way or another.


Before you're too quick to criticize this post simply because the Saints aren't your team and you won't have to lose to them again this season - Just remember that next season, every time you cheer when one of your favorite players lays a member of the opposing team out with a huge hit, you are celebrating what the Saints just got penalized for. Your favorite player was paid to hit that guy like that - and you LOVED it! 

On a more cheerful note - While my favorite team is being robbed of the opportunity to continue the winning seasons we've enjoyed as of late, my second favorite team just got a little closer to the Super Bowl. Welcome to Denver, Mr. Manning!


12 comments:

  1. I so agree! When I read the report I was wondering how much he got paid for making that decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about the 49ers...Our Last game..that hit was horrible..Let's talk about that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a life-long diehard Saints fan. And I absolutely agree that the penalty on Sean Payton was a bit overboard. However, I understand why the NFL had to step in with major punishment. Yes, the NFL is a violent sport. But there's a line between hitting a player hard, and hitting a player with the expressed intent of injuring them.

    The NFL apparently has extensive documentation that proves that the Saints players (and other associates) had a reward system that included rewards for cart-offs and game-ending injuries. That absolutely cannot be tolerated. I have to believe many Saints fans would think about this differently if it was another team who put out a bounty on Drew Brees. Again, while I believe the punishment is too harsh, when I take the emotion out of the equation, I can fault the NFL for doing something. Just my honest thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree 100% with Ryan's post. I love my saints but wrong is wrong and NFL is apparently going to use them as an example. I have no doubt that other teams are doing the same thing, but this under-the-table gambling on someone else's well being is just NOT RIGHT and hopefully the rest of the teams take note of this punishment and it comes to a halt. Wishful thinking? Maybe. Time will tell but in the meantime our Saints unfortunately have to pay the piper.

      Delete
    2. He Was Punished for lying to NFL about having knowledge of this going on and trying to cover it up

      Delete
  4. Pastor Jeff,

    It is my understanding that the harshness of the punishments is not so much about the bounty program as it is about the bold-faced lying and cover-up attempt that is also documented. I seem to recall a good man once telling me to own up to my mistakes instead of lying and covering them up. I would hope that you and the other Christians who are Saints fans would want their team run by someone with INTEGRITY, which was the exact opposite of what Payton and the rest of the staff did here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shaun I know nothing of lies and cover up. I think we all saw Coach Payton step up on national television and admit to his knowledge of the "bounty" program. Besides, this isn't a rant about the program as much as it is the BLATANT hypocrisy that has become characteristic of the NFL under Goodell.

      Delete
  5. Just to make sure everyone understands - I'm not condoning the "bounty" program. I'm simply saying it's hypocritical to punish a team for giving players bonuses for doing what they're already paid to do. To my knowledge, no one in the Saints organization has admitted to purposefully trying to cripple anyone. Big defensive hits that win games is what these people are paid to do. Like it or not, that's the game. Goodell is trying to act as if that is not what the game is about and he's making an example out of the Saints. If you are open about the violent nature of the game you make him look bad and that's what this is about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are we to assume the NFL will become flag football? What a joke!!!

      Delete
    2. Whether or not a member of the Saints organization has publicly come forward and admitted trying to cripple someone, Goodell and the NFL claim to have well-documented evidence to support this program. I have to believe they would never have moved forward with this level of punishment (which will personally cost Payton and others millions of dollars) if they didn't have rock-solid evidence to back it up. Otherwise, they're looking at a lawsuit.

      Goodell isn't claiming that the NFL isn't a violent sport (or shouldn't be a violent sport). But he is trying to implement common-sense measures to protect the game and its players. This was a well-documented, pre-meditated program designed to give rewards for the expressed purpose of causing injury. There's no gray area here. Goodell must do something or risk major financial repercussions in the form of lawsuits.

      With that said, I will absolutely agree that the punishment here (specifically on Sean Payton) seems way out of proportion. It's not just the suspension, but he'll be suspended without pay (he'll lose $7 million because of this). THAT'S what's absurd about this.

      Delete
  6. www.bustedinacadiana.com Drew Brees summed it up pretty well. Investigation is ongoing and only time will tell.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive