Tuesday, August 11, 2009

In Memoriam

Yesterday my dear friend Roosevelt Hunter crossed the finish line. Much sooner than any of us wanted, he said goodbye to this world and "Hello" to the next. He heard Jesus say, "Well done."

I'm going to miss him so much. He made me laugh so many times. He inspired me in so many ways. We've been friends since the late eighties. Jacob Aranza introduced us and we started regularly bringing him in to speak at Crossroads. The last time he came in was this past May. It was a great weekend. He preached with such passion. We enjoyed some great time together. Thank you Jesus for the opportunity to spend that time with him.

Through the eighties and nineties we worked the same youth camp circuit. Each week either I'd follow him at a camp, or he'd follow me. If I followed him, I'd always arrive to the news of revival the week before. I'd be challenged to pray harder, preach harder and believe God for the kind of camp revival that God and Roosevelt had brought.

Years ago I was working on a message called, "Why This Waste?" I made the mistake of telling Roosevelt about it. Two nights later he preached that sermon like he'd been preaching it for years. What a preacher!

I remember once when he was in, Roosevelt, his wife Eileen and I were going to get something to eat and we passed a place on University Street here in Lafayette where the "ladies" of the evening would stand out by the road. Roosevelt said, "I think that girl was a hooker." I told him, "That's not a girl." (It was a transvestite bar.) He said, turn the car around and let's go talk to them about Jesus!" We did. The owner of the club was so mad at us! Roosevelt was first and foremost a soul winner. He would talk to anybody about the Lord!

Roosevelt had the funniest laugh. It sounded like a cat on an old cartoon. He used to love to prank call me. He would only get a minute or so in to the call though and crack himself up and give himself away with that silly laugh.

Through the years we might go a year or so without talking to each other. We were both constantly on the go. Then he took his assignment at Southeastern and I became pastor at Crossroads. When we would finally connect it was like I just saw him yesterday. The past couple of years we've been able to keep in touch more. He would text message me pretty regularly. The last text I got from him he told me he'd been invited to speak at an event with Bishop Jakes (one of his heroes). He was so excited.

1 Thessalonians 2:19 describes the soul winner's crown that people like Roosevelt will receive from Christ. I want to be there to see it. I want to rejoice with him in the presence of our Savior. I want to hear him laugh that silly laugh again.

21 comments:

  1. I remember hearing Roosevelt long ago in the days of Skyscrapers. I knew if he was going to speak, I would leave changed and challenged. What an awesome man of God!

    I just think about that moment when we pass from this life to the next as the very moment we've been preparing our whole life for. There are mixed emotions ... sad for his family, but also jealous that he's with our Lord experiencing ultimate joy and healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me and Jody are so heart broken about this news.. Even though you can rejoice in where he is now.. He was so young and there was so much more work that could have been done... When we found out in May at service that day that roosevelt was preaching we were so excited and had been wishing for a long time we would get to hear him again.. He spoke some things into Jodys life while praying over him a long time ago and right after a life change happened in our lives.. I won't go into details... But i can tell you that God shook our world just as Roosevelt had said was gonna happen... God has done wonderful things in our life and amazing life lessons learned that I know stemed off from that prophecy that day.... When we saw him again it was so great it just reminded us of how much God used him to speak into our lives... He will be missed.... What a awesome Man of God he was.... Just heart broken for his family and the word that we won't hear from him again.. But rejoicing inside !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear that. I only heard him preach that one time, but he was great! There is no doubt he is bring people to their feet in heaven!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Pastor Jeff, We were so glad to see him last May, we didn't realize how much we missed hearing him until seeing him again. He always blessed us. Roosevelt will be missed by many.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pastor, you have my sympathy. I will keep his family and friends in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A champion has received his reward; may God raise up thousands of roosevelts for the kingdom!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome home and well done, Rho! R.I.P.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful way to remember such an awesome man of God!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Roosevelt was one of the greatest people I knew. Thanks for posting that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So thankful that we got to hear him preach that last time in May...What an awesome man of God! He will definitely be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for posting that. I'm so sorry to hear that too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a funny thing. The weekend you had him speak in church the Lord brought him to my mind and on sunday there he was preaching and sharing the word of God like I always remembered him. I am sorry to hear about the loss, but I will alway remember him as a faithful and "joyful" servant of God.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, really enjoyed hearing him speak in May. I pray that God wraps his loving arms around his family during this time of mourning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We're bummed, he's happy! God bless his wife and children.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for posting that! I remember him growing up, he was awesome, David and I both really enjoyed his message a couple of months ago, he really touched us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i miss him so much. he was a great encouragement that day he preached our graduation recognition service. and when he told me and Robin to call him uncle Rose. that laugh will never be topped and will live on.... :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pastor Jeff, I'm in shock, I just got onto your blog and read the news. I didn't know. Just this past Wednesday I was speaking About him with Gwen a Church member. I asked her if she was in service when he was here in May. We were talking about the C word. I really enjoyed speaking with him that day. I didn't know it at the time, but I do now, as to what he was saying to me. Just last night I got out his cd on the message he had preached "Facing the Future" and played it over and over again, it's sitting right here on my desk. Not to let what the Dr's, the world, the enemy verbally speaks paralyze us with fear. Gods word was his voice! (He was so right GOD not only has Answers but Solutions! My sympathy is with you and his family. This world has truly lost a warrior for God but God has gained a Giant, and you will be standing right next to him at the Crowning of Soul Winners! GOD did give him the victory! He will truly be missed. In The Precious Name of Jesus Christ OUR SAVIOR!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive