Monday, November 9, 2009

The Place They Tried To Kill The Dream

This past weekend I spoke for a pastor friend of mine in Memphis, TN. Pastor Matt Anzivino and his family were such gracious hosts and I had a wonderful visit with them. One of the things we did was drive by the Lorraine Motel - The place where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated. The motel was converted to the National Civil Rights Museum in 1991. I didn't get a chance to go through the museum, but I will next time I visit Memphis. We stopped at the motel on Saturday night and just stood outside for a few minutes. I can't explain it, but a great sadness came over me as I looked up at the balcony where this great American hero was killed. Growing up in the deep south during that period of extreme civil unrest, I have a great appreciation for the accomplishments of Dr. King. As I gazed up at the wreath that marks the spot where Dr. King paid the ultimate price for the cause he believed in, I had a keen awareness of the fact that the election of our first African American President a year ago is directly linked to that sacrifice. They tried to kill the dream - but they failed!

1 comment:

  1. Amen! But I believe Martin Luther King would totally condem and be appalled at what Obama and our Nations Morals have come too no matter what color or Nationality. Remember you were talking about Pie in the Sky and The Jeffersons, I will never forget on 1 of the Shows "Good Times" when they announced He had been killed, I remember as a child crying. He was a great man, can't wait to chat with him in heaven.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive