Thursday, November 5, 2009

Pies

I love a good piece of pie! Pie is such a great social food. We get together with our friends over a piece of pie and a cup of coffee and have a wonderful visit. Pie is such an everyday part of our lives, we have adopted a number of pie metaphors within our conversations. We call each other sweetie pie and cu-tie pie, we teach using pie charts and when we come into some money, we refer to it as a piece of the pie.
In the early 20th Century, Americans were struggling. There were pockets of extreme poverty across the country. God responded by raising up organizations like the Salvation Army, whose members would wade into that human suffering providing food and assistance while preaching the gospel. They reminded the poor and the downtrodden of the promises of God. Around the same time, labor unions were forming and they didn't appreciate the work of the Salvation Army. They felt they were offering false hope to people and they even coined the phrase "Pie in the sky" about the Salvation Army's theology. The term stuck and today, when we think of something that seems too good to be true, we call it "Pie in the sky."
This past weekend we kicked off a new message series at Crossroads called "Pies" by reminding everyone that God's promises are not 'pie in the sky.' God is trustworthy and His promises are reliable!
One of our families favorite restaurants is Marie Calendar's. We love it because their Pie menu is as large as their regular menu! As it relates to His promises, God has a menu. It's called the Bible. On that menu you'll find salvation, healing, provision, protection, peace, direction and comfort - just to name a few. Those promises can be relied on! 2 Corinthians 1:20 says they are in Him, 'Yes' and 'Amen' to those that believe! God is ready to serve us up a big piece of what we need right now!

1 comment:

  1. Pastor Jeff thanks for this past weeks messsage, about Robin and her car and how it made you feel and how it must make GOD feel when he blesses us! My Daddy has always blessed us, he's always been there for his Family, He brought us up to be independent. It brought back wonderful memories and I realize how far GOD has brought all of us. You truly can't out give God. You know things got really tight for Wendell and I when he got sick and they said I have MS. My dad wanted to do everything, really frustrated wendell but I did not allow it. Because God was to get the glory and he showed wendell, my dad, myself so many, that we survived because of him, we never stopped tithing, both on SS, having to pay $1000.00 cobra insurance per month and then they were not paying our bills. God has really used this as a testimony in my life. For his Glory. you know that drive we were having at church, well I save so much per month for yearly house ins. car ins. emergencies. well I decided to give that amount put month for the past 5 months to the drive, and I can't begin to tell you how God has blessed me! from needing 4 new tires a battery and a throttle flush at the toyota place,, plus sewer tank needed emptying, house repairs, etc. plus my car ins. decided to go up and its due Dec. well God has taken care of everything, I had to pay but everything was maybe a 1/4 of what it should have cost, and My daddy said he prayed about it and God wanted him to get me a laptop so I could work in bed,said God said I will do Good with it. I just got back on the internet after 7 yrs. I was saving. I wanted to pay off my washer & Dryer before I got the internet, people thought I was crazy, Just put it on a C/C nope NO DEPT. Thank you Pastor Jeff for allowing God to use you so that we will allow God to bless us through obedience. I love my Church Family, My ABBA Daddy in Heaven and my earthly Daddy. I know my dad is as small as a mustard seed next to God, SO I Can't even Imagine!!!!!!Praise the LORD! AMEN!!"shall be it"
    Coming from a daughter who loves her daddy more than anything else on this earth, and means the world to her, I can't even begin to tell you how much Your children love you and donna, you can see it in their eyes. you know what You do know, because I hear how you speak of your mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive